Most people let outside circumstances, other people, conditions, and environment control their attitude. We don’t want the outside world to control us. We want the control. When we choose to control our attitude, we can respond to life rather than react to it. When our attitude shifts everything shifts. In this post, I’ll cover 10 ways to shift your attitude and discuss what attitude is.
William James said, “Human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind.” The only thing we have total control over is our attitude.
Ask any successful person what tops the list of priorities for a successful life and they will tell you having the proper attitude.
Zig Ziglar said, “It is your attitude, not your aptitude, that determines your altitude.”
So what is attitude?
Attitude is the composite of your thoughts (the activity of your conscious mind), your feelings (the activity of your sub-conscious mind), and your body, the material medium where your actions produce results. This is where behaviors show up.
W. Clement Stone said, “There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.”
All thoughts, feelings and actions are a form of energy that we express. Our thoughts charged with emotion set up a vibration in the body that will cause us to act. The universe will respond with a vibration in harmony with the one put out by us. So if our attitude is positive we will attract a similar positive vibration and we will obtain a positive result. The same is true with the negative attitude.
So what are these 10 ways to shift your attitude?
- Believe you can change your attitude, break old habits, make the choice to change your vibration.
- Respond rather than react, change the way you look at a situation.
- Become aware of what enters your consciousness and choose the positive.
- Be aware of all the attitude components, the thoughts or beliefs, the feelings or the behavioral aspects and watch for any cognitive dissonance (holding two conflicting ideas) especially in the subconscious and the conscious minds.
- Monitor your internal dialogue and change the words or phrases to positive ones.
- Work with your strengths and delegate responsibilities that frustrate your attitude.
- Ask yourself penetrating questions to break the negative state and get you to think differently.
- Hang out with positive and inspiring people and model them.
- Live in alignment with your values.
- Count your blessings – have an attitude of gratitude.
Keeping your attitude positive is the fastest way to live the life of your dreams.
Dare to Dream!
I appreciate getting feedback on my blog. I enjoy hearing from you and if you would like to explore any of these issues, I would love to guide you through them. Feel free to back link to your blog via the commentluv feature here.